Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Sonic Silence

The dragonflies are abundant when the county can't afford to run the mosquito fogger truck.  There are hundreds of rusty orange ones this year, but I haven't seen the swarm of blazing red ones since the second summer.   Its natural for the winds and currents to temporarily bring in  life of other places.    Their blazing beauty could take your breath away as they swarmed together in and out of the yard visiting only for a minute.    I decided that they were trying to connect in some silent sonic way when one lit right on the clothesline next to where I had just placed a clothespin.  I looked right into his eyes and his face reflected back at me the same curiosity.   Then as if he was doing a comedy act he loosened his grip on the clothesline and fell upside down and hung there and swang back and forth, mimicing the rest of the clothes swaying in the breeze.  Time stood still for 2 seconds while I wondered if he was a cousin to Jiminy Cricket or what supplements did I mix this morning that might cause such a pleasant illusion.  And off he went to rejoin his swarm. 

1 comment:

Lucie Pollard Branham said...

Now if that doesn't speak to the oneness of all I don't know what does. A dragonfly comedian, that is innately curious, has great comedic timing and mimicry skills. And life when we are paused to question surreal and real in the same moment, nothing better! I'll say it again, I have LOVED every word you have written. Thank you!